The example we will be using is a follow-on from the previous article, in which we showed a method for displaying data of companies and contacts. We displayed the FileMaker data in a jQuery datatable in the FileMaker Web Viewer, which allowed us to include jQuery features like pagination and sorting without any coding. Using the FileMaker.PerformScript() function, we can add the functionality through which, once the user clicks on any of the contact records from datatable in Web Viewer, the chosen contact details are shown on the FileMaker card window.
The FileMaker.PerformScript() function takes two input parameters:
- FileMaker Script Name – A non-case-sensitive name of the script we wish to run
- Script input parameters (optional) – a string that contains the required parameters, which can be read using the function Get(ScriptParameter).
FileMaker.PerformScript ( “FileMaker Script Name”, “Optional Parameter” );
A few notes regarding this implementation:
- The FileMaker script name which we pass as a first parameter is not case-sensitive.
- The FileMaker.PerformScript() function doesn’t wait for the FileMaker script to finish. That means the FileMaker script doesn’t return a value to the FileMaker.PerformScript() function that called it.
- The FileMaker script is executed in the current context. So if the user or script changes the layout or record while the script is running, then the FileMaker script will run in a new context. To deal with such a situation, we can pass the context information as a second parameter to the function.
If you are looking for support with FileMaker, or FileMaker integration, feel free to contact our us. For more details, please visit – www.metasyssoftware.com/filemaker
The FileMaker platform offers some key advantages for small businesses looking to go digital. Many small businesses are turning to FileMaker for building custom apps to replace their manual processes. We highlight below why FileMaker is increasingly becoming a Preferred Option for small and even medium-sized enterprises.
- FileMaker offers a Small Business Service Toolkit to its customers at no extra cost. As a part of the toolkit, FileMaker offers an eBook – “How to Transform Your Service Business”.It addresses the common business issues faced by small businesses and how to overcome them by building custom apps. It also has case studies covering real business issues faced by small companies and how they overcame their challenges
- FileMaker provides a Starter App along with the Toolkit. The app is compatible with FileMaker 15 platform. It has all the basic functionalities to help small businesses in addressing common business processes like resource scheduling, inventory management etc. The app is designed by a member of the FileMaker Business Alliance Platinum Partner. It is accompanied by a webinar which addresses issues faced by small businesses when it comes to inventory planning and management and invoice generation.
- An extended support in the form of ‘Idea to iPad’ Bundle is also available. Annual licenses of FileMaker Pro Advanced and FileMaker Server are offered as a bundle to create and deploy custom apps. It includes 10 hours of consultation with a Customer Success Manager and FileMaker Business Alliance professional developer. The personal one-on-one interaction helps the developer understand your business and advise a solution appropriate for your situation.
This customer centric approach has proved to help small businesses in digitizing their business using FileMaker. Furthermore, one can start with one module or one process and add modules to meet the growing needs of the business. Businesses and employees quickly see concrete returns on their investment. The platform also allows you to tweak and fine tune your processes over time. Metasys Software has over 12 years of experience with a team of Certified FileMaker Developers and huge experience in client server as well as web application development using FileMaker PHP API. If you are looking for a quick solution or have queries related to FileMaker development feel free to contact us.