Agile testing is a software testing process that follows the Agile methodology and the Scrum framework.
Agile methodology is a lightweight and effective development method. Scrum is a Framework that supports it. The main focus is on quick response to the customer requests or wish lists and an iterative method for application development and testing. Work is completed and reviewed in a set period of time which is called as ‘Sprint’. All iterations are of the same duration. At the end of each iteration, a working feature of the product is delivered to the customer.
How agile methodology in software development works:
- All requirements are in the form of a feature list and are added to the Product Backlog. The feature list is described in the form of a user story.
- The backlog list is prioritized and each user story is estimated.
- Based on the team size, sprint duration and complexity of the user story, a set of features is selected for each Sprint.
- Individual tasks are distributed among developers involved in the sprint.
- Development and Testing are carried out for all features selected in the sprint.
- A daily scrum meeting is conducted by the scrum master whose job it is to keep the team focused on the goal. Active participation from each individual of the scrum team is required. The meeting agenda is restricted to what was done yesterday and what you plan to do today and whether there are any known obstacles or risks.
- At the end of the sprint, a working feature of the product is delivered to the customer and immediate feedback from the customer is captured.
The role of Agile Testing Team:
- In Agile testing, testing starts as soon as sprint development is done. The customer or product owner is involved with the progress of the software development. The whole team approach is to deliver a set of features which meet the customers’ current needs. The entire team works at the same workplace to allow for active collaboration. Throughout the sprint, the tester closely works with every team member and product owner to ensure better product quality and functioning. Team Interaction and active participation of each individual play an important role in Agile testing.
Why should one follow Agile testing methodology?
- Testing starts at an early stage in the software development and features are tested within each Sprint improving quality of the product.
- Defects are identified and either handled within the same sprint or added to the product backlog –to be taken care of by developers in the upcoming iterations while working on similar/relevant features.
- Since defects are identified early in the development process, it reduces defect cost
- Regular customer feedback increases the morale of the team and helps in improving the quality of the upcoming sprint work.
- Priority features can be delivered early so that the customer does not have to wait too long. Low priority tasks can be completed later on. There is a flexibility to change scope/story points of the sprint based on the changes in customer requirements.
- More focus on working software and Less focus on documentation.
MetaSys Software is a software services company with offices in Mumbai, India and Toronto Canada. Our team has experience in different development methodologies but we mainly prefer the agile approach to delivery. If you are looking for software outsourcing then contact us.